[Mediaevistik] CFP: German Studies Association Conference

Markus Stock markus.stock at utoronto.ca
Fre Jan 19 19:32:05 CET 2007

CALL FOR PAPERS -- Medieval/Early Modern

2006 Conference of the *German Studies Association* in San Diego, California

October 4-7, 2007

www.thegsa.org

YMAGINA (Young Medievalist Germanists in North America) is pleased to
announce a call for papers for the following sessions at the 2007 GSA
conference in San Diego:

*How Modern are the German Middle Ages? The Limits of Interpretation *

Papers that explore and/or illustrate the applicability, relevance or
limits of modern/post-modern theories in the study of pre-modern
material. Can we understand our pre-modern predecessors? How do we
define their/our hermeneutic circle? When do medieval and modern meaning
coincide? Does it matter if they do? When does our understanding break
down and how do we know it? We welcome papers that reflect broadly on
these questions, as well as those that take a specific theoretical
approach to a medieval or early modern text, moment or artifact and
reflect on ways in which theory expands, focuses or limits our view of it.

*Power and Holiness in the German Middle Ages*

Papers that explore historical, literary or artistic representations of
the power of the sacred or sacralization of the secular in medieval or
early modern Germany; the power of relics, pilgrimage sites, other holy
objects or places; divine origins of political power; the influence of
holy women or men in ecclesiastical or political power structures; power
plays or blurred boundaries between church and state; natural disasters
or occurrences as divine or holy; miracles; sainthood.

*Sight and Sound in the German Middle Ages*

Papers that explore visuality and aurality in medieval or early modern
Germany; the cultural relevance of sound in medieval ritual, ceremony,
courtly culture or warfare; silence and cacophony; theories and
codification of vision in the Middle Ages; is there an auditory
equivalent to "the Gaze"?; perception and /Wahrnehmung /of sensory
input; unusual or transgressive sights or sounds; scientific or medical
treatises on sight and sound / eye and ear; the relationship between
oral performance and visual spectacle; breakdowns of vision; noise.

We seek 15- to 20-minutes papers, in English or German. Please send an
abstract (max. 250 words) and a brief CV that includes institutional
affiliation by Friday, February 9th to *both* of the following
organizers (e-mail submissions preferred):

Dr. Kirsten M. Christensen                                           Dr.
Olga Trokhimenko

Department of Languages and Literatures                      Foreign
Languages and Literatures

Pacific Lutheran University
Univ. of North Carolina Wilmington

Tacoma, WA 98447 USA